avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Maven Deployment
Date Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:49:46 GMT

Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>
>> Question 1, are the contents of your projects within the repository
>> currently managed under separate maven groupIds?
>

> Yes.
>
>> ie:
>>  avalon-apps/                             17-Jan-2004 16:02    -
>>  avalon-cornerstone/                      17-Jan-2004 16:02    -
>>  avalon-extension/                        17-Jan-2004 16:02    -
>>  avalon-framework/                        17-Jan-2004 16:02    -
>>  avalon-phoenix/
>>
>> Or are you planning to deploy everything under one groupId?
>>
>> ie:
>>  avalon/                                  17-Jan-2004 16:02    -
>

> No.
>
> My understanding is the that /avalon directory represents a root of a
> repository.  As such, something like avalon-activation represents a
> group identifier.

Hmm, this is something new to me, I'll have to bug Jason and see what he
says about it. Do you have any sort of reference to this in the Maven Doc's?

>> Its important because there was some stray files in the avalon
>> directory and some duplication which I removed using symlinking much
>> of the contents of "avalon" into the various subcomponents.
>>
>> Ultimately, it would be good to alleviate the duplication documented
>> towards the bottom of the following report:
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/~henkp/md5/
>

> The info here is saying that the signature file (mine) is not good.  Is
> there some additional information I can get as to the actual problem?

Could it be that your Public Key isn't stored in KEYS (I didn't check)?
http://www.apache.org/dist/avalon/KEYS

>> I do like the idea of having the repository contents nested into the
>> existing dist directories (like you've done within dist/avalon.
>> Unfortunately, it will take some time before Maven supports this
>> directory structure across projects, ie:
>

> Actually - maven group ids are not interpreted by maven beyond a string
> identifier of a path.  You can define a group as "xxxx/yyy" and it will
> work just fine.

Yes, but they are leaning heavily against that for some reason. But,
also there is the issue that you possibly have already built up external
dependencies against your projects, changing your groupId would reek
Havoc on the projects now dependent on you. this is an unfortunate side
effect of Maven's binding the id to an actual directory structure. There
is no room for change without hurting your users.

>> Where:
>> http://www.apache.org/dist/avalon/avalon-activation/jars/...
>> http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons/math/jars/...
>>
>> Actually are within the same Maven Repository located under:
>> http://www.apache.org/dist/
>

> This is where we may have some degree of confusion.  My understanding is
> that the repo root (for avalon content) is
> http://www.apache.org/dist/avalon.  If that's incorrect then I've been
> responsible for putting a bunch of stuff in the wrong place.
>
> Stephen.

I guess the big questions are:

What are your goals in having your repository contents relative to
"http://www.apache.org/dist/avalon"?

Are you using the repository location as a remote repository for the
avalon subcomponent project development?

Are external projects dependent on the "avalon repository" or are the
dependent on www.ibiblio.org/maven?

Do you submit requests to ibiblio to get your jars published or do you
have an ibiblio account and can do it yourself?

The point in us setting up the "java-repository" is that now all Apache
Projects are freed to have their release managers publish onto ibiblio
without any need to make requests to ibiblio or log onto their machines,
for all practical concerns ibiblio is now just a mirror of
java-repository content. This makes jar publishing to ibiblio a uniform
process across all Apache projects.

Ultimately we want the java-repository structure to merge conceptually
with both the "Repository Projects" URI Specification and the "dist"
directory contents:

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ASFRepository/URISyntax

I know it probably sounds ambitious, but I think it is possible.

-Mark
--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer