avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PMC:VOTE] release process for cocoon deps
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:52:01 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Sorry but I really have the perception that you are blocking everything
> that isn't related to your work.

Carsten:

You want Avalon "the community" to release some packages.  To me that
implies some degree of responsibility on this community concerning
maintenance.  We "the community" should not be releasing products we
don't maintain.  The very fact that the build fails for sourceresolver,
store, logging and component suggests that there is a issue concerning
the viability of these products.  I'm concerned about that because while
Leo is jumping in and doing something about the build - will Leo or
anyone else be interested and committed to maintaining these things?

One way of eliminating this problem is to look at the packages in
question and address the bigger question concerning synchronization with
Avalon's direction.  Does it really make sense to release sourceresolver
  in its current form?  From a strategic Avalon product position - no.
 From a support position - yes.  But what about reconciling these two?
I honestly hope that Avalon will sooner or later eliminate its multiple
personality disorder - and achieving that will require that we take
product releases seriously.  It means addressing things like tag
inconsistencies - it means sorting out thing in Fortress so that there
is a rational path for users - it means holding a minimum threshold of
what is and is not releasable - and above all - it means working on
moving to a single component model.

Stephen.