avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [eclipse] MerlinDeveloper ready for download
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:28:09 GMT
andreas oberhack wrote:
>>I played around with creating a simple component project and running
>>merlin from inside eclipse.  Nice!
>>

> Thanks!
>

>>Question... does it run the merlin defined by MERLIN_HOME?
>

> Yes
>

>>And what
>>repository does it use by default?
>

> MERLIN_HOME/Repository
> MERLIN_HOME/System

This is not correct.
The system repository should be:

   ${merlin.system}

The ${merlin.system} is evaluated from

   1. a system property named 'merlin.system'
   2. the a property declared in a merlin.properties file
      - in ${user.dir}
      - in ${user.home}
      - in ${merlin.home}
   3. otherwise, it defaults to ${merlin.home}/system
      where ${merlin.home} is resolved using the same steps
      (1,2,3) with the property name 'merlin.home' and a final
      default value on the environment variable resolution of
      MERLIN_HOME

The appliaction repository should be:

   ${merlin.repository}

The ${merlin.repository} is evaluated from

   1. a system property named 'merlin.repository'
   2. the a property declared in a merlin.properties file
      - in ${user.dir}
      - in ${user.home}
      - in ${merlin.home}
   3. otherwise, it defaults to ${avalon.home}/system
      where ${avalon.home} is resolved using the same steps
      (1,2,3) with the property name 'avalon.home' and a final
      default value on the environment variable resolution of
      AVALON_HOME

There is code that does all of this already inside the kernel/impl
factory and criteria classes.  Sounds like we should pull that out into
a common utility.

Cheers, Steve.