avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MutableConfiguration
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 18:11:59 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:
> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> What do think?
>

> a) MutableConfiguration is IMHO seriously flawed because it exposes a
> work interface which is not defined using an actual interface;

Presumable you meant to say that DefaultConfiguration as opposed to
MutableConfiguration?  And independently of that - it seems to me that
this thread is addressing the issue.

> b) it is straight-forward to extract the work interface from
> MutableConfiguration and make it an actual interface (any half-decent
> refactoring tool can do it automatically);

That's one approach and its the approach proposed by Leo.  There are
also other approaches to the same problem.

> c) MutableConfiguration should not be moved anywhere, for backwards
> compatibility reasons;

Umm - you mean DefaultConfigration - right? And solution needs to needs
to take into consideration backwards compatibility - that goes without
saying.  What is more relevant to the current discussion is future
compatibility - in particular - is a object that mutates a configuration
necessarily itself a configuration given the potential abuse that may be
applied and the implicit defensive measures that a container would be
obliged to put in place.

> d) the amount of discussion surrounding this rather minor issue is
> totally out of proportion (example: gump can become a TLP in less time
> than it takes to just /read/ all the messages related to this thread).

Goody for gump!

Realistically Leo - my guess is that is taking a touch longer due to the
fact that (a) its not a framework API issue, but (b) it is related to
framework due to fact that we have content in framework impl, therefore
(c) there is an inferred relationship, and last but not least (d) it
ain't critical because it's an implementation concern and as such its
worth thinking about options.

Cheers, Steve.