avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [merlin] JMX MBean autogeneration
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:51:07 GMT
On Monday 23 February 2004 16:34, Cameron Fieber wrote:
> Greetings,

Welcome.

> I am in the process if migrating a Phoenix based app to Merlin, but I
> need the MBean autogeneration functionality that exists in Phoenix.

We have been talking about it for long.

> I have a preliminary implementation of a Merlin lifecycle extension that
> creates and exports MBeans for components.  It is pretty much a port of
> the MX4JSystemManager from Phoenix 4.0.4.  It seems to work in my brief
> bit of playing with it, and I will be exercising it more thoroughly as
> part of my migration to Merlin.
>
> Before I delve too much deeper into this area, I wanted to see what
> currently exists in terms of design, coding, or even just random
> thoughts for a component management facility in Merlin.  If anything is
> happening in the area I'd like to participate.

I haven't spend _that_ much thinking about it, maybe Stephen has a better
view....

My perception is that although LifeCycle extensions can be used for this, we
have postponed the JMX implementation to a great degree because the
"Deployment Model" (how components hangs together) was static until a "few
hours ago".
Now it is not anymore!
Therefor, JMX subsystem should be created as a "facility", practically a
service that has access to the DeploymentModel, and is typically more trusted
than your average component.

It then registers itself to the DeploymentModel and listens for changes, and
creates/destroys MBeans as the model changes.
Likewise the JMX subsystem can create new components by modifying the DM
(which results in events and destruction/creation of MBeans...)

If you want to "do it right", we would be grateful, and I suggest that Stephen
in that case give you a set of pointers on where to look to understand how to
migrate your current effort.

Niclas