avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Notification pattern has interesting effects on IoC
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2004 05:52:55 GMT
On Thursday 19 February 2004 05:34, Farr, Aaron wrote:
> Yet another thread that I caught late.  Sorry, but this time someone stole
> my car (seriously), so I'm a bit behind on a number of things today.

Ahhh... Next thing to do is to move where you don't need the car ;o)

> As others have mentioned, when you move to an event based system, you trade
> dependency on API's in for dependency on data.  That means selecting your
> data model is VERY important.  We ended up using a map scheme with XML and
> plain old java implementations.

I did my first Mail-Event system back in 94-95, where we used Mail Delivery to
update Magnetic Card Readers with the "passage/security data" to allow entry
or not.

Our biggest hurdle in those days, was not so much about the data itself, how
it was delivered or packaged, but integrity.

Mails were lost, or arrived "way later", so that updateA came in after
updateB, or not at all. And since few operations are really
timeline-agnostic, it made things very very tricky. (And not something I
anticipated in advance at all.)

Niclas