avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Re: [VOTE] RE: MutableConfiguration
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 04:35:08 GMT
Leo,

> From: Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org>
> On Wednesday 04 February 2004 00:17, Leo Sutic wrote:
> > OK. The case is this: I have an application that consists of a central
> > kernel and a bunch of plugins. It is configurable via a GUI. Each
> > component presents its own GUI - having the kernel auto-generate
> > it is simply not an option due to the degree of interactivity
> > required. Instead, the kernel calls on the component to

I've needed this functionality in the past for the LDAP server
so you could configure it on deployment.  It would be nice to have
these configurator components and not have to use low level xml
apis to make the necessary changes.

I would like to see a mutable form of configuration but where do
we put it.  I don't agree with putting it in Framework now but
there has to be a nice place for it.  This is sort of like a deploy
time or build time tool API.

> And if this is designed and implemented properly, I think both Fortress and
> Merlin could benefit from it with very little effort.

This would be sweet.  Every user with an application can then provide
their own configuration panel component for a deploy time configuration
tool.  I thought about autogenerating UIs based on a RelaxNG schema
before and attempted it.  It's not easy.  But you need some form of
metadata to be able to autogenerate such a configuration view for a
component.

Alex