avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO)" <hamilton.olive...@agenciaclick.com.br>
Subject Re: FW: [Proposal] Augmenting Fortress extensions support
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:17:20 GMT
Let's try again :-)

-----Mensagem original-----
De: andreas oberhack [mailto:develop@softwarefabrik.biz]

> If you have complex object models, you will use BMP - and have to manage
> your own transactions there.

There is not such condition. I don't feel like using EJB without CMP - its
pointless. And if you are using EJB, the container should handle
transactions and there is no need for a interceptor framework or whatever.

> The problem here is that you have to know which objects are covered by a
> transaction. For the component interface (service) this is done by the
> interceptor framework. That's ok. But the domain objects? And what's
> about if you have a query and get a collection of domain objects?.

Man, have you ever worked with JTA? Have you read my article? When the
transaction begins, the transaction is associated with the thread. From this
point, every POJO accessed would know its been in a transaction. Then you
may say: when we know the transaction ends? When the root method - the one
that started it all - returns.

I already use it in a project last year - pretty painless and transparent.

> Or if you navigate from one object to an other. How do you know, whether
> this object is "persistable" and covered by a transaction?

I'm not worring about persistence here. As I already told you, I think
persistence should be handle in a NOT transparent way. Doing persistence in
a transparent way sounds like too much magic been added to an application
and problems can arise from that.

But thats only *my* point of view. If could be successful addind this
support to merlin and this can be great.

> In my experience, Hibernate is doing an excellent job here. EJB is a
> poor solution for such problems.

EJB + CMP = time saving (In my past experiences at least). Don't think there
is only one nice and a poor solution for enterprise architecture. There is
one who fits into your requirements and those who don't.

regards,
hammett