avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Farr, Aaron" <Aaron.F...@am.sony.com>
Subject RE: Yet another IoC Article
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:12:50 GMT

First off, the more I've read Stefano and other's comments, the more I agree
that the term IoC is currently being misused.  IoC, like Seperation of
Concerns, is a principle more than an actual pattern.  Dependency Injection
is a pattern, but IoC (and Avalon) is more than just dependency management.

Anyway, you brought up two good points:

1. Support of other dependency management schemes in Avalon
2. Making it easier to reuse Avalon components in non-Avalon frameworks

You should definitely add support for multiple schemes in Avalon#.  We've
already started discussing how to do this in Merlin and I believe we'll get
it in there soon.

As for #2, I've found when I've tried to reuse component implementations
that inevitably I end up writing a small container -- something that creates
the configuration, goes through the lifecycles, figures out dependencies...
In the end, it's often just easier to use a small container (or something
like my JingDAO framework).   This was part of the idea of Fortress and I
think it still has merit -- some minimal container that requires adding only
one or two jars to your classpath.

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM