avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] RE: MutableConfiguration
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:17:58 GMT
> From: Niclas Hedhman [mailto:niclas@hedhman.org]
>
> > Not quite.
> >
> >   "I have code that currently pass around a DefaultConfiguration
> >    instance.
>
> I think it would help a lot by specifying WHERE such "pass
> around" is being
> made. When I see this, I assume "to the component", which is a big -1.

OK. The case is this: I have an application that consists of a central
kernel and a bunch of plugins. It is configurable via a GUI. Each
component
presents its own GUI - having the kernel auto-generate it is simply not
an option due to the degree of interactivity required. Instead, the
kernel calls on the component to

 1. show and manage its user interface

 2. upon user command, to take the settings in the UI, reconfigure
    itself, and fill in a DefaultConfiguration that will be persisted

If the UI could be handled purely by the kernel, this would not
be a problem - the component would never have to help with the
translation from GUI -> configuration.

Step (2) is the step where I'd like to replace DefaultConfiguration
with an interface. I would probably still pass in a
DefaultConfiguration,
but this would not have to be part of the contract.

/LS