avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [RT] Automatic Versioning
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:04:21 GMT

> From: Farr, Aaron [mailto:Aaron.Farr@am.sony.com]
>
> The problem is greater when the package does not include the
> version number in the file name.  It's one thing if you have:
>
>   avalon-framework-4.1.4.jar
>   avalon-framework-4.1.5.jar
>
> versus
>
>   jdom.jar
>   jdom.jar
>
> or whatever.  If the packaged files use a standard naming
> scheme which includes the version numbers, then I think we
> should be in the clear.

I think the issue is that instead of having:

  org.xml.dom.Document in jdom-1.0.jar
  org.xml.dom.Document in jdom-2.0.jar

we should have:

  org.xml.dom1.Document in jdom-1.0.jar
  org.xml.dom2.Document in jdom-2.0.jar

Problem being that if you have the situation I outlined, with
A,B,C, A dependent on B and C, B dependent on C, there's simply
nothing that can save you if C changes in a backwards-incompatible
way, since as long as A and B communicate using classes or
facilities provided by C, they must use the same C.

/LS