avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Component Types
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:57:50 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:
> +0.1 I ***hate*** client-side validation of container contracts.

yup. You're thinking of the TransientFactory as provided by the
container. If you see it as provided as a component (defendable in the
way I'm implementing my "container"), it is not quite container-side.
But still ugly. Note it's optional here, too (client is not required to
call provides()).

> +0.5 I ***hate*** client-side validation of container contracts, but
> at least it is optional here.

yup. I just hate pooling :D. Does anyone know of any programming
language or framework or application where it is less ugly?

>>Then there's the option of seperating out the validation into
>>[A, B, C]
>
> Or you could ram it into the container. (Probably the best option.)

yeah, using technique A or B or C. But you'll still have to do at least
some manual configuration. It all remains relatively ugly.

>>did you ever get the metadata for an argument-by-name association
>>working properly?
>
> What? Like the example above? Sure.

yep. Is it in commons-attributes? I'd like to see how you made it
happen...I made the choice not to use attributes 'till 1.5, but I'm
still interested how for things can be streched....practical magic is a
hobby of mine :D

>      * @@.return MyAttribute ()

do you have use case for that as well? Can't think of any.

> (In terms of magic, the org.apache.commons.attributes package is
> the equivalent of an industrial-grade high-pressure mana fountain.

ROTFLMAO!

>>>This is one for A5 definitely
>>
>>why? It's not backwards-incompatible :D
>
> It is, since a lookup() of a pooled component will give you a
> factory instead of the component itself.

that makes it incompatible with ECM/fortress (where lookup has accepted
semantic meaning). But I don't see it as incompatible with merlin or
phoenix, or the core framework. See the factory as a lightweight
container-provided component, wrapping an assembler-provided component.

I think I'll have a go at implementing it.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons