avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] JavaBeans are even more evil than first thought
Date Sat, 24 Jan 2004 00:08:59 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:
<snip/>

and another good read! Is this all part of a "let's keep Berin around"
campaign? :D

summary: we want to write just a little bit of code to handle
configuration, and with that, have strong validation of our invariants
and other types of assertions.

You highlight one way it could be done using javadoc tags, reflection
and a configure() method which is essentially a validateInvariants() method.

IMHO: Too Much Magic!

You probably already knew that I was going to say that ;). Maybe we need
to delve into .Net, where we wouldn't be needing a language extension...

Other possible 'solutions' include AOP-based validation (lots of AspectJ
samples around), ugly xml-based interceptor validation (XWork, I think
HiveMind as well), and...constructor dependency injection:

     public class Radar {
         private int minRange;
         private int maxRange;

         public Radar( int maxRange, int minRange )
         {
           // easy to do the ordering here :D
           setMaxRange( maxRange );
           setMinRange( minRange );
         }

         // made these protected; you could make them private
         protected void setMaxRange (int _maxRange)
         {
             if (_maxRange < minRange)
                 throw new IllegalArgumentException(
                   "maxRange < minRange");

             maxRange = _maxRange;
         }

         protected void setMinRange (int _minRange)
         {
             if (_minRange > maxRange)
                 throw new IllegalArgumentException(
                   "minRange > maxRange");