avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] MutableConfiguration interface
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:12:33 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Thursday 22 January 2004 13:04, Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia
> - SPO) wrote:
>
>>Remember that a -1 is a VETO and that is IMO a bit radical position to
>>take.
>
> I know. The reason for "my veto" in this case is because I think it is
> pre-mature, and need a bit more debate.

that can be a valid reason for a veto. It's basically a conditional
"give me more time to think, and lets talk a little more", which is okay
up to a point (once everyone else seems to think there's been enough
talk, you should probably reconsider :D). It's been cited as one of the
reasons for having vetoes when someone first thought of doing some kind
of voting around apache.

It's common practice to do a bit of consensus gauging before running a
vote that might not be subject to a rather automatic consensus. Since
that didn't happen, I can understand the impulse to veto.

OTOH, The avalon community is a bit sensitive to vetoes based on past
negative events surrounding their misuse. Mildly put.

> I also don't have the tools of expression in the votes. +0, -0 is still an
> "abstain" vote. In my book it is more like, I don't care.
> Ex;  +1, +1, 0, 0, 0
> Is this in favour or is disapproved? How do I vote, "I have no opinion."
> But, this is a slightly different debate, and I think -1 should count as a
> vote opposing and majority is reached by positive number if adding those
> votes.

As long as its clear what you mean and what you mean is reasonable, its
"approved" IMHO. What is "reasonable" is left up to you :D. How about
something like

-1 (vote not veto)

? Also, the -1/+1/0 convention is just to save a few seconds typing. If
you want to express yourself, just do so. If you feel like expressing
yourself more verbosely than in plain binary while finding yourself in
the midst of a vote, it's just another sign the vote was premature :D

> Indirectly, I would like to have an amendment to our rules, more in line with
> parlimentary voting, Yes, No, Abstain (and possibly Veto for certain types,
> but not all)

oh no! no more rules, please :D

--
cheers,