avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] MutableConfiguration interface
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:59:51 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> IMHO, I think this should be bundled with nailing down the Reconfigurable()
> semantics and life cycle as well.

I really dislike ReXXX. It's easy to put the burden on the container.
Keeps components much simpler, keeps the container nearly as simple as
before.

You can isolate the hotswap behaviour in a single place. Just gracefully
replace the component with a newly instantiated one. From experience the
performance is acceptable. Just make sure to put a big fat Barrier
around B.stop()/A.start() and the actual swap.

Nailing down ReXXX IMHO involves soft deprecation.

cheers,

- LSD