avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Bennett <exterminat...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Adopting JIRA
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:43:12 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Farr, Aaron wrote:
>
>> Hmmm...  I don't mind the Avalon-xxx projects, but I think Cornerstone
>> and
>> Excalibur don't need to be categories.  Just a single JIRA project for
>> each.
>

> Here I disagree.  There are multiple cases where an API artifact does
> not change version bu the implementation artifact does.  For example,
> the change made to the Avalon Meta package impacts the meta tools
> project and the plugin project.  The api remains unchanged.  I think we
> should avoid a "group" version model as this move us away from the
> reflection of notion of major and minor version changes that correlate
> with interface/implementation changes.

I'm not involved in this debate really, but here I've got to agree with
Steve.  With the separation of api and implementation packages, the
release process must be able to operate independently IMO.  That's
already been my experience developing a bevy of components that have api
and impl separation.

However, the point is well taken with regard to the view/management of
JIRA support for each artifact

>> While the individual components may be different maven artifacts (and
>> currently under separate group IDs), we've often released them together,
>> i.e.- Cornerstone-1.0, Excalibur Release 1.x.
>

> This reflect the past - what I would like to see is a release process
> that is much more fluid and that support the active fix, build, vote,
> publish cycle at a fine grain level.

+1