avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Merlin Pooled components
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:21:20 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Peter Courcoux wrote:
>> I have a requirement for pooling components and am using a version of
>> merlin which is a couple of months old. I seem to recall that the pooled
>> lifestyle handling was switched off.
>
> Correct.

may I suggest at least some kind of compatibility mode stays available?
There are tons of components out there which are built for being pooled
automagically (and clients that assume as much). Shutting this down
completely means there's a huge range of existing components which won't
be able to run out of the box inside merlin. I just experienced similar
issues trying to port an application to type 3 (which cannot support
this kind of pooling at all), and it was a *major* pain in the ***.

backwards compatibility is a bitch, but still a good idea :D

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Articles & Opinions -- http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/jicarilla/Articles