avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [MERLIN] are service method calls done through reflection ?
Date Sat, 31 Jan 2004 17:13:20 GMT
korosh afshar wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Listening on the developer list this thread caught my eyes.
>
> Is Merlin's proxying lookup scheme going to be a concern for speed?
>
> I mean is what John says a legitimate concern that in order to get the
> most juice out of Merlin, its best to use what Steve is suggesting ?
>
> I assume what Steve suggests is for optimizing calls to services methods
> if one needs to do that to get more speed.

Optimization is one aspect - but keep in mind that your exposing
lifecycle interfaces which means that consumers (which you have no
control over) can potentially do things to your component.  However -
you can code against this but ensuring that your lifecycle operations
are only invoked once and throwing an illegal state exception otherwise
- etc.  Other example of the need for non-proxied component exposure
include things like org.omg.corba.ORB which is itself a class that is
acting as a big proxy to an underlying implementation.

All you need to worry about is a little defensive programming on the
lifecycle stage operations - but aside from that - no problem.

Stephen.