avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: avalon/framework/api/src/java/org/apache/avalon/framework/configuration MutableConfiguration.java
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:55:32 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:

>>From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>>
>>Please note that I'm not against the interface as such - its the
>>interface in framework that I'm uncomfortable with and interface in
>>framework API that I am opposed to at this time.
>

> So where do we put it?

I understand the problem and I have a proposal.

> Anywhere else but framework means that DefaultConfiguration *can't*
> be a MutableConfiguration, since that would imply that framework
> is dependent on some other avalon module.
>
> If DefaultConfiguration can't me a MutableConfiguration, then
> the most commonly used configuration that is mutable isn't a
> MutableConfiguration.
>
> Having it in framework-impl is bad because we then have interface
> and impl (DefaultConfiguration) in one jar.
>
> Unless you want to create a third jar, and have framework impl
> depend on that one as well, it has to be in framework-api due to force
> majeure.

What I propose is a package in avalon vs named avalon-configuration

   avalon/avalon-configuration
     api  <--- contains MutableConfiguration
     impl <--- contains DefaultConfiguration
               contains DefaultMultipleConfiguration
               and possibly the rest of the content currently
               under framework/impl/.../configuration

... then we have a clear separation of the container side concerns
relating to configuration as distinct from the container/component
contract concerns that are dealt with under the framework space.

However - getting something like this together in sandbox first of all
would be really beneficial.  In fact it would let us rationalize the the
avalon framework impl, excalibur configuration content and your stuff
into a single well defined package.

Stephen.