avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] MutableConfiguration interface
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:59:09 GMT
Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO) wrote:
> I don't see any harm or problem adding this interface to framework. No
> container will crash, no users will shout in panic. A Reconfigurable
> semantic is another issue that deserves another discussion.
>
> By now, the addition of this interface seems ok.
>
> Remember that a -1 is a VETO and that is IMO a bit radical position to take.

Putting something into framework is a lot more to do with the definition
of the Avalon component lifecycle model.  It really does not matter if
the intention is to expose this during the lifecycle phases or not - the
thing is that if it goes into framework it becomes part of framework.

The alternative is to put it into Excalibur Configuration along with the
other configuration additions - such as:

   - CascadingConfiguration
   - ConfigurationUtil,
   - NamingConfigurationBuilder
   - the config merger and split helpers