avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject [merlin] test-suite?
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:26:10 GMT

Have been thinking about the merlin abstract unit test and possible
improvements that could be made.  Currently we have specialization of
UnitTest that contains an embedded Merlin Kernel that is configured
relative to a merlin.properties file together with some implicit
deployment path logic defined within the test case itself.

An alternative approach is to define a test-suite that uses merlin to
create, deploy and test components.  This would enable:

   * unit test treated like any other avalon component
       - declares dependencies
       - can provide services to other tests
       - can have packaged config, etc.
   * test suite can integrate the following:
       - classic components defined under the main src tree
       - test components defined under the src/test tree

The testsuite itself could be launched using a maven goal possibly as a
postgoal to the classic test:test goal.  Aside from the benefits listed
above, this would eliminate the need for dependency references to the
merlin unit test package (which I find are constantly getting out of date).

Any thoughts on this?

Stephen.