avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Adopting JIRA
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:16:16 GMT
Farr, Aaron wrote:

> [...]

Logkit and fortress represent single versionable deliverable so I don't
see a need to seperate these out.  Merlin contains a suite of version
artifacts and should be seperated out.

Here is an updated list of the Avalon group artifacts (taking into
account released group ids and avalon-xxx consolidation).

avalon-extension-spi
avalon-extension-impl
avalon-framework-api
avalon-framework-impl
avalon-meta-api
avalon-meta-impl
avalon-meta-spi
avalon-meta-tools
avalon-meta-plugin
avalon-composition-api
avalon-composition-impl
avalon-composition-spi
avalon-activation-api
avalon-activation-impl
avalon-activation-spi
avalon-util-exception
avalon-util-criteria
avalon-util-defaults
avalon-util-env
avalon-plugin
avalon-repository-api
avalon-repository-impl
avalon-repository-main
avalon-repository-spi
avalon-repository-util

Merlin versionable projects include:

merlin-api
merlin-cli
merlin-impl
merlin-plugin
merlin-unit

<snip>

> That's a LOT of projects to administer and, to me, it seems like overkill.
> I mean, that puts something like excalibur-datasource on the same level as
> Merlin and Phoenix.  There are still project components that can handle a
> lot of this.  For example, can't we at least have the Cornerstone API and
> IMPL parts just be components of the same cornerstone-xxx project?

Only if you assume that the api and impl versions are aligned.  If you
do this it eliminates the possibility for a frequent update rapid
release process on an impl behind a stable API.

> I guess
> that could mess up the versioning.  Grrr.

I know .. what we really need is subcategores in JIRA.

Stephen.