avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Adopting JIRA
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:33:22 GMT
Farr, Aaron wrote:

> [...]

Yep.

> Hmmm...  I don't mind the Avalon-xxx projects, but I think Cornerstone and
> Excalibur don't need to be categories.  Just a single JIRA project for each.

Here I disagree.  There are multiple cases where an API artifact does
not change version bu the implementation artifact does.  For example,
the change made to the Avalon Meta package impacts the meta tools
project and the plugin project.  The api remains unchanged.  I think we
should avoid a "group" version model as this move us away from the
reflection of notion of major and minor version changes that correlate
with interface/implementation changes.

> While the individual components may be different maven artifacts (and
> currently under separate group IDs), we've often released them together,
> i.e.- Cornerstone-1.0, Excalibur Release 1.x.

This reflect the past - what I would like to see is a release process
that is much more fluid and that support the active fix, build, vote,
publish cycle at a fine grain level.

> So I think I'm leaning towards starting with:
>
>    Avalon      <-- framework + docs
>    Meta         (or Avalon-Meta)
>    Repository   (or Avalon-Repository)
>    Excalibur
>    Cornerstone
>    Fortress
>    Phoenix
>    Merlin
>    LogKit
>
> All under a single Avalon category.

If JIRA supports nested categories I would agree with.  If it does not
then I think we need multiple categories simply because of the number of
independence versionable projects.

> Sorry to drag this proposal out.  Just want to make sure we get it right.
> Do any of the JIRA experts want to chime in again? :)

It's worth dragging out because whatever we setup is something we are
probably going to live with for some time to come.

Cheers, Stephen.