avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Changing Meta Package
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:05:39 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Tuesday 06 January 2004 23:22, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>In order to solve "model" issues much easier and much more flexibly, I
>>propose to use the work that Leo did a while back with the Attributes
>>embedded in the class file itself.
>

> Without knowing too much (as usual) about the subject, I would ask "Is it that
> clever to 'roll your own', instead of awaiting the JDK1.5 in a couple of
> months?"
> If one can't wait for 1.5 to be available to all platforms, would it still not
> make sense to "wait" and keep what we have meanwhile?
>
> Open for arguments...

I understand the concerns, but currently the model we have has to be altered,
which also may require alterations to the composition package (speculation
here).  Not to mention that the Merlin is not currently geared for the JDK 1.5
approach.  Our utility would be able to function--even in a 1.5 environment.
Not to mention, if there are changes that need to be done to the Attribute
classes, that refactoring would be easy to accomplish.

Not to mention JDK 1.5 availability rolls out in stages, usually on WIndows/Sun
platforms first, followed by a few months later with Linux, and even later
OpenBSD and Mac.  We would be able to maintain users forced to remain on 1.4 for
the forseeable future.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin