avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] Changing Meta Package
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2004 15:22:38 GMT
In order to solve "model" issues much easier and much more flexibly, I propose
to use the work that Leo did a while back with the Attributes embedded in the
class file itself.  It is a much more flexible way of doing things which will
not require future modifications to the meta model to take care of enhancements.

In order to make this change, we need to create an ANT task that will make the
translation from the currently declared attributes to the form that Leo's
library will accept.  On the client side, we would have preserved the existing
contracts so people don't have to rush around altering their code immediately.
Behind the scenes (and within Merlin/Composition) the system would be refactored
to use the Attribute objects instead of the current hard coded meta model.

Framework would then be extended to include the "official" Attributes that would
be used in components, which will also allow us to use normal OO techniques to
maintain backwards compatibility as we may need to add new features later on.

 From a container perspective, we can look at matching these attributes to the
plugins that need them--or trust the developer to put things together correctly.
Anyway, this is a refactoring I think can be made without sacrificing current
abilities, while simultaneously heading off some of the API scalability issues
that exhibit themselves from time to time.

Essentially the whole "meta-model" system would become merely a tool for
backwards user compatibility, with the future based on Leo's less strict model.
This will help the effort to bring in new features and improve Merlin as a
whole.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin