avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where do you want to go?
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2004 06:37:13 GMT

Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
>> Concerning Merlin I once had the impression that some of the feature
>> it offers are cool (i.e. default configurations aka profiles IIRC) but
>> others aren't that much (i.e. security). ATM I'm not in need for a
>> standalone container as most of my server apps are running with
>> Phoenix' last version much better because it has JMX and that's much
>> more important to me than other features Merlin offers. Looking at the
>> current commit rate of the development it will take month until I will
>> suggest my customers to migrate from Phoenix to Merlin because of its
>> endless refactoring cycles (admittedly I might be totally wrong but
>> this is the impression it gives me).
>

> Giacomo:
>
> Relative to the client contract - Merlin is rock solid.

Sure, client contracts == interfaces/APIs, but this was not the issue here.

> As far as commit messages are concerned, please take into consideration
> (a) commits on implementation improvements, (b) commits related to
> sub-system relocation (i.e. system moving out of merlin and into avalon
> space such as avalon-meta, avalon-utilities, and avalon-repository and
> the resulting refactoring withing the merlin system implementation), and
> (c) commits on the 3.4 branch which deal with meta-model optimization
> and do not impact the client contract.

Stephen, what should that tell me: You spread the refactoring not only
to the core and sub-system but also onto meta, repo, util, etc?

Du you think you can convince me to change oppinion with this comment?

Cheers

--
Giacomo Pati