avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where do you want to go?
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2004 03:14:08 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> Concerning Merlin I once had the impression that some of the feature it
> offers are cool (i.e. default configurations aka profiles IIRC) but
> others aren't that much (i.e. security). ATM I'm not in need for a
> standalone container as most of my server apps are running with Phoenix'
> last version much better because it has JMX and that's much more
> important to me than other features Merlin offers. Looking at the
> current commit rate of the development it will take month until I will
> suggest my customers to migrate from Phoenix to Merlin because of its
> endless refactoring cycles (admittedly I might be totally wrong but this
> is the impression it gives me).

Giacomo:

Relative to the client contract - Merlin is rock solid.

As far as commit messages are concerned, please take into consideration
(a) commits on implementation improvements, (b) commits related to
sub-system relocation (i.e. system moving out of merlin and into avalon
space such as avalon-meta, avalon-utilities, and avalon-repository and
the resulting refactoring withing the merlin system implementation), and
(c) commits on the 3.4 branch which deal with meta-model optimization
and do not impact the client contract.

Cheers, Stephen.