avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] RE: MutableConfiguration
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:46:11 GMT
On Thursday 29 January 2004 05:49, Leo Sutic wrote:
> I propose to:
>
>  1. add the following MutableConfiguration interface to framework
>     (see below).
>
>  2. Add the getMutableChild and getMutableChildren methods to
>     the DefaultConfiguration class.
>
>  3. Have DefaultConfiguration implement the MutableConfiguration
>     interface.
>
> +1 from me.

I vote "No".

There has been a lot of talk of what to do and how to do it, but very little
about WHY.

IMHO, it is even a violation of IoC. My personal interpretation of IoC is
"Here you go Mr Component, I have provided this for you, now live with it!"

Why should the component be allowed to change its configuration object? If so,
why should the component not be allowed to change its Logger, Dependencies
and Contexts as well?

Is it implied that the Container MUST, SHOULD or CAN persist that between JVM
invocations?