avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Bootstrapping of Merlin
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 03:51:33 GMT

Stephen gave me this important piece of overview, that I would like to share.

1. user creates a new DefaultInitialContext
   - this provides the micro-bootstrapping facility
2. user creates an Artifact reference
3. user creates a new DefaultBuilder that uses the
   initial context and artifact
4. user request the Builder to build a factory
   - builder looks at the artifact and tries to locate
     meta data about the classloader hierachy that it
     needs
   - builder pulls in all of the dependent jars and
     creates the classloader hierachy
   - builder instantiates a factory using the new
     classloader and returns this to the user
5. user gets the factory
6. user requests from the factory the default criteria
   (a map of default values)
7. user parameterizes criteria (setting this and that)
8. user requests the factory to create a new instance using
   the criteria
9. done - merlin is running (or whatever the artifact is
   referring to)

Niclas