avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [MERLIN] New "launch" parameter?
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 00:22:18 GMT
Aaron,

> From: "Farr, Aaron" <Aaron.Farr@am.sony.com>
> What about a new command line parameter for merlin like:
>
>      merlin -launch appGroup:appName-VERSION
>
> which would go looking in the repository (local or remote) for:
>
>      /repository/appGroup/appName/blocks/block-VERSION.xml
>

> or something like that.

I like that alot.  Also if it's parameterized within the kernel
as another map key value pair embedding becomes a joke.  You're
just running Merlin really or just the merlin bootstrapping code.

> The one caveat I can think of would be figuring out the type of resource,
> since it could be a jar (with embedded block.xml) or one of those .bar
> things that Stephen had once.  I'd prefer to just reference an XML page
> since that requires less network traffic.  So maybe:
>
>       merlin -launch appGroup:appName:type-VERSION

I agree with the XML reference.  But perhaps it might be worth keeping
the type incase you switch the way you access the directory of
applications at your disposal :-).  Or better yet what about using a
URL instead?

> In any case, it builds off of the existing patterns and offers some more
> interesting capabilities (detailed in the other thread).

Oh yeah.

Alex