avalon-dev mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [MERLIN] New "launch" parameter?
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:38:45 GMT
On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 00:22, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> > The one caveat I can think of would be figuring out the type of resource,
> > since it could be a jar (with embedded block.xml) or one of those .bar
> > things that Stephen had once.  I'd prefer to just reference an XML page
> > since that requires less network traffic.  So maybe:
> >
> >       merlin -launch appGroup:appName:type-VERSION
> >

> I agree with the XML reference.  But perhaps it might be worth keeping
> the type incase you switch the way you access the directory of
> applications at your disposal :-).  Or better yet what about using a
> URL instead?

A URL is definitely an option.  In fact, that's where the idea kinda
started.  As Niclas pointed out, you can already do something like:

  merlin -execute http://myserver.org/myCoolProject/block.xml

The idea of using the other naming approach (more of URN than URL) is
that:

   - It follows the same naming conventions in the block.xml
   - It works well with the whole repository idea
     (and makes the repository transparent)
   - If you have more than one repository, it should protect
     against failing to hit one of the servers
   - It makes it easy to handling Merlin caching the resource
     for offline use (ie- a SNAPSHOT approach will work if nothing else)

But I'm sure it isn't perfect.

--
 jaaron  <http://jadetower.org>