avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Cameron Fieber <cameron.fie...@gems6.gov.bc.ca>
Subject Re: ServiceManager lookup conventions
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:10:04 GMT
Hi,

I saw this message and I was hopeful that the Phoenix info was correct
as I have previously done a bunch of coding that felt dirty to get some
service discovery stuff to happen.  Unfortunately after some testing I
don't think this is the case.  I was using Phoenix 4.0.4 to test.

Here is a snippet from an assembly.xml:

<block name="testBlock"
  class="com.selkirksystems.example.phoenix.DefaultTestBlock"/>

<block name="testBlock2"
  class="com.selkirksystems.example.phoenix.DefaultTestBlock"/>

<block name="testBlock3"
  class="com.selkirksystems.example.phoenix.DefaultTestBlock"/>

<block name="testRunner"
  class="com.selkirksystems.example.phoenix.DefaultTestRunner">
  <provide name="testBlock"
    alias="testBlock"
    role="com.selkirksystems.example.phoenix.TestBlock"/>
  <provide name="testBlock2"
    alias="testBlock2"
    role="com.selkirksystems.example.phoenix.TestBlock"/>
  <provide name="testBlock3"
    alias="testBlock3"
    role="com.selkirksystems.example.phoenix.TestBlock"/>
</block>

And here are the results of various means of trying to look stuff up in
the ServiceManager (inside the testRunner service method):

serviceManager.hasService("testBlock"); //false
serviceManager.hasService("testBlock2"); //false
serviceManager.hasService("testBlock3"); //false
serviceManager.hasService(TestBlock.ROLE); //true
serviceManager.hasService(TestBlock.ROLE + "Selector"); //false
serviceManager.hasService(TestBlock.ROLE + "[]"); //false
serviceManager.hasService(TestBlock.ROLE + "{}"); //false

So either I'm doing something incorrectly (quite possible!), or the only
service lookup supported in Phoenix is based off the role name only.

Regards,

-Cameron