avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Farr, Aaron" <Aaron.F...@am.sony.com>
Subject RE: [Apache Avalon Wiki] New: WhichContainer
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 19:28:50 GMT

Well, yes, IF you're taking about Merlin.  The whole problem is that each
container has used the terms differently.  There are different definitions
for component, container, service, kernel, block, meta-data, and so on for
EACH container.  While each definition is close enough that we don't get
into too much trouble, it can be rather confusing.

Part of the solution is to offer a history of the terms so that users can
see how it was used then versus how it is used now.  We then need to work on
the documentation to insure consistency in use and definition.

This is also the reason I started the Avalon Glossary:

http://wiki.apache.org/avalon/AvalonGlossary

> It's important here to separate out meta-info and meta-data.

<snip>

I added your tables to the WhichContainer page in the wiki and moved my
stuff to ContainerStory.  I'm still working on both, but I think it would be
good to finally have this stuff in the wiki or site so that we can point
users to these docs rather than re-answering the questions every couple of
months.

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM