avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [RT] Auto-configuring components
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:08:59 GMT

> From: peter royal [mailto:proyal@apache.org]
>
> On Jan 23, 2004, at 11:38 AM, Leo Sutic wrote:
> > The container would then, before calling configure(), set all
> > ConfigurableFields in the class. Then configure() would be called,
> > allowing the component to
> > do whatever special configuration processing required.
>
> You should see what Jason van Zyl did with Plexus ... he treats XML
> configuration data as a serialized object and uses XStream
> (http://xstream.codehaus.org) to de-serialize the configuration
> directly onto the component instance. pretty neat!

That's pretty much what I want to do, except I want to decouple
the serialized form from the component implementation (field names,
etc.)
and provide defaults. (Although I suspect that defaults are provided
by XStream not overwriting fields that have no corresponding XML node.)

Also - see my "JavaBeans are even more evil than first thought" email
for
other reasons (in short - making consistency checks is difficult).

/LS