avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "hammett" <hamm...@uol.com.br>
Subject Re: consensus-based development
Date Sat, 10 Jan 2004 18:49:17 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen McConnell" <mcconnell@apache.org>

> Rather than move the builder content (and by inference - tools and
> plugin) to Merlin, it would make more sense to add a migration tool to
> the Fortress package to ensure that meta-info is represented in a common
> way.

I dare to say : it will be easier :-)  But I'm not sure it is the correct
strategy.

Hey, I don't know, I'm just some guy saying that we should start from the
simplest thing and then - as necessity happens - going to complex
environment. Your strategy is to keep Meta as it is and add migrations tools
to others containers. What about other containers store information in their
specific way instead of Meta package pushing his own way/format? Thats my
point. No migration tool would be need now.

This conclusion came from the fact I already tried to adapt Fortress to Meta
few months ago Well, didn't happen :-\

There are few aspects that could drive our direction:
* Existing containers
* Existing application
* New containers

New containers could benefit from Meta package as it is. The problem exists
in first two bullets. Answer my post pretending you're not Merlin developer,
just someone with the big picture in hands and the background of the last
week posts ;-)

regards,
hammett