avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Removal of old directories in Sandbox
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 08:50:07 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Leo, I'm not the "Archiving Type" a.k.a "Junk Collector"(tm), so I trust you
> know what "archiving" encompasses...
> As long as it gets out of the way, I am happy...

you'll still have to do it yourself (or get someone else to do it) :P

what we do is login to the server via ssh, then we back up the CVS/RCS
files on the server, make tarballs, put them somewhere webaccessible,
then we remove the CVS/RCS directories on the server.

We should never ever remove CVS/RCS material on the server side without
backing things up. Has to do with audit trails 'n stuff. Big deal for
example with the geronimo things atm.

Here's a possible command sequence:

ssh cvs.apache.org
umask 002
mkdir ~/cvsbackup/avalon-sandbox
cd /home/cvs/avalon-sandbox
mv merlin ~/cvsbackup/avalon-sandbox
mv eclipse ~/cvsbackup/avalon-sandbox
cd ~/cvsbackup
tar czf avalon-sandbox-merlin-20030503.tgz avalon-sandbox/merlin
tar czf avalon-sandbox-eclipse-20030503.tgz avalon-sandbox/eclipse
cp avalon-sandbox-merlin-20030503.tgz \
    avalon-sandbox-eclipse-20030503.tgz \
    /www/avalon.apache.org/historiccvs/sandbox

- LSD