avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [FYI] Eclipse moving to OSGi
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 21:06:33 GMT
Unico Hommes wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<snip/>

>>An OSGi "bundle" (that's the term for the deployment unit) can provide several services:
a "BundleActivator" class inside the bundle registers the provided services (there can be
several) when the bundle is loaded.

>>Registering a service consists in registering an instance of the service interface
with additionnal properties that describe the service. The lookup mechanism then allows to
select a particular implementation of the service depending on property values, by using a
simple LDAP-like query language.

>Hmm, I like this. This is something that is still missing from Avalon IMHO: richer service
lookup semantics. I've had several instances where I needed this.

Having the "hint" as an Object in ComponentSelector was exactly for this
purpose. IIRC, there even was a Query class that was discussed some time.

Can you give more details about your use case?

Sylvain