avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [FYI] Eclipse moving to OSGi
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 21:26:25 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just found that Eclipse is moving their component container to OSGi
>> [1]. Avalon was one of the possible candidates, but it seems that
>> only OSGi was seriously considered [2].
>>
>> OSGi was up to now mostly used in embedded systems (cars,
>> automation), and its adoption by the Eclipse team will promote this
>> platform to many more developpers, particularly in the J2EE world.
>> I'm wondering [3] how this can impact the future of Avalon.
>>
>> What do you think?
>

> My initial look at OSGi is that it is solving a different set of
> problems than Avalon.  Although with some of the work being done on
> the Avalon repository, that may be different now.
>
> My perception was that OSGi was working with the JAR==component
> outlook, and had some nice features for loading and unloading these
> JARs.  Avalon OTOH, was working with smaller granularity components.
> So, in one sense, they can work together.  In fact, it might be a good
> marriage.

And OSGi "bundle" (that's the term for the deployment unit) can provide
several services: a "BundleActivator" class inside the bundle registers
the provided services (there can be several) when the bundle is loaded.
Registering a service consists in registering an instance of the service
interface with additionnal properties that describe the service. The
lookup mechanism then allows to select a particular implementation of
the service depending on property values, by using a simple LDAP-like
query language.

OSGi is also very good a loading/downloading/unloading bundles.

I have the impression OSGi directly compares to Phoenix blocks (don't
know about Merlin?), but it doesn't support non-singleton services like
ECM or Fortress.

You can have a quick look at how it works through the very explanatory
tutorial at http://oscar-osgi.sourceforge.net/tutorial/index.html

Sylvain