avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Monitoring
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2003 18:53:14 GMT
Stephen J. McConnell wrote:

> Right now I'm in the process of pulling together the next release of
> Merlin.  The main *feature* of the new release will be a much cleaning
> embedding strategy based on a bunch of improvements from Alex (Apache
> Directory Project).

> If you or other have thoughts on this I'm real interested in getting
> feedback, suggestions, options, etc.

Alex, myself, and (AIUI) James Strachan are all of the mind that it would be
very useful, indeed important, for the Avalon container (e.g., Merlin) to
support JSR 77/88 directly.

  http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=77
  http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=88

Like them or not, those are the standard Java specifications for management
and deployment.  Enabling components written to use those specifications to
be directly supported by in Avalon container would make such a container far
more attractive, and would allow the Avalon container to leverage work being
done for those JSRs.  There is code in the Geronimo CVS that does this (as
explained by James, the actual Geronimo kernel *is* a JSR 77/88 container),
so you would not be starting from scratch.

	--- Noel