avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Subversion Pilot
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2003 15:11:52 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> What state is Subversion in right now?

> I'm surprised that it is anywhere near as stable and reliable as CVS.

See: http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#stable

By all reports from the people who arguably know both SCMs better than
anyone (CollabNet, the people who are developing Subversion to replace CVS),
SVN is apparently incredibly reliable where it counts most: the source
repository.

Good enough that we are already hosting and migrating projects, although not
yet in a massive scale.  Just as the proposal here was just to put a part of
Avalon into Subversion.

See: http://subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html

> Please don't forget that for [linux using developers] there
> is ZERO effort to get CVS running.  This is not the case
> with subversion

Already in the standard distribution mechanisms for Fedora, debian and
FreeBSD.

> What benefit does subversion bring that CVS can not fulfill,
> and Why is this important to us?

Lots, especially when re-factoring code, which CVS is largely incapable of
supporting without losing history.

I do sympathize with the issue about IDE support, although of course if you
were using emacs as you should be (<<grin>>) you would not have such
concerns.  I see client support as the next biggest thing that has to
happen, and should now that the interfaces are stabilizing.  But futures
aside, there is IDE support and we are only talking about migrating a
portion of Avalon code.

	--- Noel