avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [PMC:Proposal] Subversion Pilot
Date Thu, 25 Dec 2003 02:01:33 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> I now notice that the whole Apache website is down!!!!

An electrical substation fire caused about 120,000 people in about one third
of the City of San Francisco to be without power; in some parts of the city
for more than 24 hours.

> Checking out the SVN sources... Taking its good time... Can't say
> it is really slow, but it ain't fast.

FWIW, my understanding is that there are planned changes to improve
Subversion's network I/O performance, but they won't be in the code until
post-1.0.  I also don't know whether Subversion's HTTP handler supports
Accept-Encoding.

> everything is located in "svn/trunk". Is the "trunk"
> a choice of the project team

See the Subversion book (http://svnbook.red-bean.com/).  The essential point
is that you put trunk/tags/branches where you have separately versioned
components.

> I don't want loads of "trunk" names on my system.
> http://svn.apache.org/avalon/trunk/sandbox
> http://svn.apache.org/avalon/trunk/framework

AIUI, that would mean that sandbox and framework were versioned together.
The good news is that if you do it one way and don't like where they are,
you can always move things around.

Branches and versions are exposed as directories in Subversion, instead of
as attributes.  Think of trunk/ as the CVS MAIN branch.  Branches and tags
are implemented as a lightweight copy, making it really easy to deal with
versions.

	--- Noel