avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSR 77 and JSR 88 support in avalon
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:14:15 GMT

Leo Simons wrote:

> (moved from pmc@ where it doesn't belong)

I agree with Noel.

> I wrote:
> >>I have no idea what those are :D.
>
> Then he wrote:
> > Essentially, they are container methods standardized in JSRs. Geronimo
> > is based upon those JSRs as the primary interface between their
> > "kernel" and managed components.
>
> I found some basic overviews:
>
> * http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-06-2002/jw-0614-mgmt.html
>   (JSR 77)
> * http://ishmael.forge.objectweb.org/ishmael-overview.pdf
>   (JSR 88)
>
> IMHO, that is *many* steps back from what avalon provides.

I think this assessment misses the point because its making the
assumption that the Avalon component model should map to 77/88.  A
better approach is to consider a kernel as a manageble entity and to
consider the repository facility as depoyable unit supporting 88.  This
provides the bridge between the 77/88 world while maintaining the finer
granularity (and clarity) offered by the Avalon model.  The end result
is increasing the scope and value for users in both domains.

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org