avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Interesting Anti Pattern...
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2003 04:50:00 GMT

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

><quote src="http://www.keelframework.org/mission.shtml" >
>Anti-Pattern: Documentation Problems
>

>The best feature of open source is also its downfall - wildly varied forms of
>documentation, with its most important form also being its most problematical
>- mail lists. Funny thing is, most of the time it isn't just a lack of
>documentation, there is usually too much, and you can't find what you need
>without going through email archives for hours at a time.
>
> Solution:
> Keel attempts to reduce documentation to javadocs, and online FAQ's editable
>by users, such as with Wiki. Email is the big problem, and we request users
>to not use it for documentation - if you answer a question, answer it in the
>Wiki FAQ, and use email only to furnish a link to right place in the Wiki
>FAQ.
></quote>
>
>Do we have this problem?

No - not relative to the points raised.

The dev@avalon list contains a lot of exploratory discussion - the
users@avalon (aside from the recent indulgence into the semantics of
garbage collection) typically focusses on concreate issues.  The
documetation for Avalon as a whole is vastly improved based on the
latest updates - but the real issue is that we are publishing info about
4 containers of which 2 are dead, one of which is burried, and another
is wandering around in the land of the living dead. Of the other two
there is a pressing need for either actice convergence or documented
divergence.

Either is an options - only one is viable.

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org