avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: repository and wagon
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 22:46:29 GMT

J Aaron Farr wrote:

>Hola.
>
>Hey, I'm still a little behind on this whole repository stuff, but has
>anyone looked at maven-wagon?

What Wagon provides is a framework for plugging in different protocol
handlers in a structure that is suitable for embedding within
applications such as Maven. This is different to the Avalon Repository
as we plug in different implementations without concern for the
underlying protocol.  You could take Wagon and *use* it inside a plugin
repository implementation - and given that the Avalon Repo support
plugable repository implementations this is tootally feasible as things
stand.

What wagon does not provide is any notion of metadata association with
artifacts or an abstract equivalent to our Artifact class. Instead - it
draws a line at the transport layer.  I higher level facility (such as
the Avalon Repository) could use this to get the data that represents
artifacts, build classloaders, instantiate factories, applications, etc.

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org