avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject [RFI] service lookup semantics
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 20:50:14 GMT

Unico Hommes wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>> Registering a service consists in registering an instance of
>> the service interface with additionnal properties that describe
>> the service. The lookup mechanism then allows to select a
>> particular implementation of the service depending on property
>> values, by using a simple LDAP-like query language.
>
>Hmm, I like this. This is something that is still missing from Avalon
>IMHO: richer service lookup semantics. I've had several instances where
>I needed this.

Currently the metainfo model allows the attribution of properties to a
service interface, component implementation and/or service
dependendency.  However - there are two things missing:  (a)
implementation at the @avalon tag level for attribute addition (which is
simply a to-do action); (b) defintion of how a query would be supplied
by a component to the object providing the service (e.g. service manager
or whatever). Clearly the current ServiceManager interface does not
provide the flexibility needed - but a lookup key of type Object opens
up possibilities because we can apply transformations of arguments based
on metainfo - e.g. an LDAP-like query (or constrain expression, or ...)
could be transformed into a parameterized lookup which could be
transfored into a service.

Anyway - that a hint at what's spinning around in my head just at the
moment.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell