avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [FYI] Eclipse moving to OSGi
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 18:19:41 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just found that Eclipse is moving their component container to OSGi
> [1]. Avalon was one of the possible candidates, but it seems that only
> OSGi was seriously considered [2].
>
> OSGi was up to now mostly used in embedded systems (cars, automation),
> and its adoption by the Eclipse team will promote this platform to many
> more developpers, particularly in the J2EE world. I'm wondering [3] how
> this can impact the future of Avalon.
>
> What do you think?

My initial look at OSGi is that it is solving a different set of problems
than Avalon.  Although with some of the work being done on the Avalon
repository, that may be different now.

My perception was that OSGi was working with the JAR==component outlook,
and had some nice features for loading and unloading these JARs.  Avalon
OTOH, was working with smaller granularity components.  So, in one sense,
they can work together.  In fact, it might be a good marriage.

I haven't looked at them recently though.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin