avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: SVN and CVS
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:00:58 GMT
On Tuesday 23 December 2003 00:06, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> 1) No granularity in the accounts.  This is fine for Avalon developers, but
>     we also include the Cocoon and JAMES development teams for the
> component development.

How come? Today we have 4 CVS modules, and wouldn't we just have 2 SVN repos,
with different user bases?

> 2) SSL is not set up *yet* within Apache infrastructure (please let me know
> if this is a misunderstanding).

SSL? OpenSSH depends on OpenSSL, so SSL must already be present. CVS uses it,
so...

> Given the facts above and some of the concerns listed here and elsewhere, I
> am starting to favor an all at once changeover to minimize confusion.

Agree with "All or nothing"-approach.
My suggestion is that we are "not first", and let any initial problems happen
to others, who will document and share those aches (if any...hmmhmhm).

> I hear nothing but good about SVN.

You didn't read about my "adventure"... ;o)

> There are binary
> distributions available (i.e. already compiled), although they could be
> placed more prominently.

Describe "available", please. Apparently the summersoft...us server that is
hosting the RH binaries (others?) are not coping with the download. I say
that it is made a "requirement" for transition, that the binaries are
available from high-bandwidth servers (Does IE support "resume" if the
connection is lost during download?).

Niclas