avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Monitoring
Date Sat, 06 Dec 2003 12:29:49 GMT
On Saturday 06 December 2003 02:53, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Alex, myself, and (AIUI) James Strachan are all of the mind that it would
> be very useful, indeed important, for the Avalon container (e.g., Merlin)
> to support JSR 77/88 directly.
>
>   http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=77
>   http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=88
>
> Like them or not, those are the standard Java specifications for management
> and deployment.

Excuse me for differing... (as usual :o)  )

<quote from="JSR-77">
The JavaTM 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition Management Specification will
provide server vendors and tool vendors with a standard model for managing
the J2EE Platform.
</quote>

<quote from="JSR-77">
This specification provides a complete description of the APIs required by the
J2EE platform to enable development of platform-independent deployment tools.
</quote>

Please note "J2EE".

If this can be solved with "Merlin Extensions", I am all for it, but I am not
particularly keen on making Avalon "another J2EE" platform. I don't feel we
need the weight in the core.

And since "Merlin Extensions" isn't well formulated, these are probably good
use-cases for the creation of the "ME".

Long live KISS...

Cheers
Niclas