avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [FYI] Eclipse moving to OSGi
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:07:59 GMT
On Tuesday 02 December 2003 02:19, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> My perception was that OSGi was working with the JAR==component outlook,
> and had some nice features for loading and unloading these JARs.  Avalon
> OTOH, was working with smaller granularity components.  So, in one sense,
> they can work together.  In fact, it might be a good marriage.

My main impression from looking at OSGi a few years (2?) back was that it was
"not present" friendly.
It changes the whole JavaBean event model so that there is a kind of "Topic"
one can either consume event from or produce event to. Either consumer or
producer creates the "Topic" (I'm sure that they have some nice name about
it).

It also have a stronger separation of bundles than Merlin's containers, as
they can be loaded/unloaded without effect, a bit similar to Phoenix's SARs.

Then the final piece I remember was a couple of core services, related to
online presence, security and "revenue generating apps".

Whether we should consider "compliance" to the OSGi spec or not, is open for
further discussion, but I am personally a bit in favour, at least right now.

Niclas