avalon-dev mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Apache Avalon Wiki] Updated: FrontPage
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:09:50 GMT
On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 05:21, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Guys,
> What is the relationship between the
> http://wiki.apache.org/avalon  (referenced from http://avalon.apache.org
> navigation)
>
> and
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AvalonProjectPages (referenced
> from "My Link on my Desktop")

wiki.apache.org/avalon is the new ASF wiki using MoinMoin.  Leo Simons
has been very instrumental in getting all this set up, not only for
Avalon, but other Apache sites (see http://wiki.apache.org).  There are
a number of feature benefits of MoinMoin compared to the older wiki
installation on nagoya.  Beyond just being nicer to look at, the newer
wiki setup allows each top level project to have its own wiki which in
turn allows better oversight and management by the project PMC's.

Other projects are encouraged to move their data from the old site to
the new one.  Avalon is an "early adopter" in this process.  For more
information on the process, start lurking on the
infrastructure@apache.org list.

> The formatting is different, but I suspect that the pages are linked to the
> same "source files". If so, wouldn't we have problems between the Wiki
> formats between the two??

Actually, the source data is different.  Leo created a script to import
the old content to the new MoinMoin wiki.  There are still some errors
though, so you'll see myself (and hopefully others) over the next week
or two clean things up.

Since the content _is_ different, if you have things you want to add,
please add them to the new wiki.  The old one will be phased out.

> Otherwise, shouldn't we "decommission" the
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AvalonProjectPages
> by doing a redirect to the official one ( http-server gurus: is that
> possible?)...

Perhaps eventually.  It may be difficult to do until all project have
moved away from the old version, though.  In the meantime, it's nice to
have the old data to refer to as we fix up the new site.

However, I've already changed all the links from the avalon.apache.org
site to point to the new wiki.apache.org.  If you notice an old link,
please either fix it or let me know.

Enjoy the new wiki!
--
 jaaron  <http://jadetower.org>